The Ensign Symphony & Chorus is seeking to fill an Associate Choral Conductor position that has the potential to become the official Choral Conductor position. This position offers a skilled conductor with both choral and instrumental experience the opportunity to work with a premiere chorus and symphony whose mission it is to bless and uplift audiences through professional quality performances of sacred and secular music. Concerts are held in the world-renown Benaroya Hall in Seattle, with guest artists that have included David Archuleta, Alex Boye, Jennifer Thomas, Jenny Oaks Baker, and many more. Both ensemble and community members provide strong support for all aspects of this all-volunteer organization.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience conducting both choral and symphonic ensembles. Five or more years experience conducting large adult ensembles preferred.
- Experience working collaboratively with both administrative and music leadership (including symphony and chorus conductors, assistant conductors, and section leaders) to achieve a shared vision.
- A passion for the mission of Ensign Symphony & Chorus which is “to bless and uplift audiences in the greater Puget Sound region through professional quality performances of inspiring sacred and secular music.”
- Able to inspire, motivate and lead ensemble members in rehearsal and performance.
- Able to take over the Chorus Conductor role if necessary.
There are three steps to the selection process.
- Resume submission and review – Candidates should submit their cover letter and curriculum vitae by email to email@example.com.
- In person interview and conducting demonstration – This is an opportunity to become acquainted with the search committee. If possible, the interview should occur at a time when the committee can observe the candidate rehearsing an ensemble they are currently conducting.
- Finalist audition – Separately conduct the Ensign Symphony and the Ensign Chorus for 30 minutes each. You will be assigned a piece to prepare for each ensemble.
About Ensign Symphony & Chorus
The Ensign Symphony & Chorus fills a unique space in the panoramic performing arts scene of the Puget Sound region. Nearly 200 singers and instrumentalists perform a broad repertoire of joyous music in the tradition of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, BBC Symphony Chorus and Westminster Symphonic Choir. Ensign’s mission is to bless and uplift audiences in the greater Puget Sound region through professional quality performances of inspiring sacred and secular music.
Rigorously auditioned Ensign musicians (many with their own impressive soloist credits) infuse life-long university, church, and community ensemble training with a passion that is profoundly moving. Concerts for Ensign Symphony & Chorus are held in Seattle’s world-class Benaroya Hall. Auditions for the Symphony & Chorus are open to any who wish to share their talents to support the mission of the organization.
All members of Ensign Symphony & Chorus are volunteers including the Board of Directors, the Presidency, and musicians. Ensign Symphony & Chorus is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.